It's no secret that backlinks play an important role in SEO strategy. If you don't have any, you won't rank much higher in search results.
There are two types of backlinks: internal links and external links. Internal links come from pages that link to yours, while external links come from pages that are linking to you.
Internal links are easier to obtain and maintain than external ones, since you control the content within your site. However, to generate external links, you need to perform outreach campaigns. That means spending time visiting forums, commenting, answering questions and asking users to share your content.
In this article, I'm going to introduce eight methods to get free backlinks for your online business. All of these techniques are proven to pay off.
1. Content Marketing Campaign
This method is one of the easiest to implement. Simply write articles on topics related to your niche, submit them to reputable sources in your industry, and wait for the traffic to roll in.
For example, if you run a travel blog, you can write about locations you visited last month. Submit them to Travel blogs and online magazines on Google News and wait.
2. Guest Posting Campaign
This technique can be used in conjunction with the first method above. Write guest posts for blogs and publications related to your niche. Then, send the author a message letting him or her know that you wrote a blog post about his or her topic. Ask the editor to add your blog post to the list of featured posts.
After that, wait for the traffic to flow. If the editor likes your post, he or she may ask you to guest post again in the future.
3. Forum Participation
When you participate in a forum, you'll receive additional exposure to your audience. This increases your brand awareness and helps grow your readership.
To join a forum, simply go to popular websites such as Quora, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, YouTube, Medium, and others.
Then, find forums on your chosen platform where your target audience is active. Once you locate a relevant community, register, and become a regular member.
4. Reputation Management Campaign
Reputation management involves building positive reviews and comments about your website or business.
You can reach out to bloggers and influencers who cover similar topics, offering them a discount to review your service or products. Offer $10 gift cards for each review. Make sure to include your URL in the email, otherwise reviewers will have trouble sharing it.
Once you collect reviews, contact those who accept your offer and let them know that you sent them the details. After collecting several reviews, follow up with those bloggers to thank them for writing a review on your page.
5. Social Media Sharing Campaign
A social media sharing campaign is another effective way to promote yourself online without paying anything.
Simply share images and videos on social media platforms, such as Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Comment on the images and leave helpful, quality responses to others' posts. Use hashtags to enhance visibility of your messages and increase engagement.
Followers will appreciate receiving valuable information and images that they can easily share with their followers. They will feel appreciated and loved, which makes them more likely to spread positive information about your business.
6. Article Submission Campaign
Writing and submitting unique quality articles can yield impressive results. You can create quality content in various formats, ranging from eBooks to white papers. These resources can help improve your presence on the web.
Use a tool called SERP Sniper. Enter keywords related to your business in the search bar, and then choose appropriate categories from the dropdown menu. Click ‘Submit.’ The tool will automatically pick a suitable category and place the desired keyword, along with synonyms, into that category.
Choose the most competitive category to ensure your articles get noticed. Add a short description or title tag to describe what your page contains. Don’t forget to use headers, subheadings, bullets, lists, quotes, and images within the text. Images should lead the reader to discover more information.
Create original content that adds value and solves people's problems. For instance, if you sell shoes, you could write about designing better shoe boxes instead of creating content such as "top 10 shoe box designs."
Add your website to search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc., so that your content shows up in the search engine results.
7. Product Review Campaign
Before launching your product or service, conduct market research to identify the demand for such products. Conduct surveys among potential customers to learn about their needs and interests.
Offer discounts to existing customers based on the feedback. Also, consider conducting focus groups to understand your customer's concerns and expectations.
The key here is to provide useful content. Create content that covers different aspects of your product or service, including its benefits, features, and limitations.
Write a compelling introduction describing why your target audience needs your service. Do some research on competitors and see how they present themselves.
Write a detailed description of your services. Include price points, availability and delivery options, and payment terms.
List testimonials and case studies from satisfied clients. Always keep your tone professional during the entire process. Be courteous and respectful at all times.
Also, do not try to sound too desperate or pushy when contacting people; rather, act polite and humble. You never want to scare away potential customers.
8. Blogging Campaign
Blogging is another effective way to boost your online reputation. It allows you to build credibility and trust among your online audience. In fact, a study revealed that blogging was the second-most influential factor in determining whether consumers would buy from a company or not. By providing fresh and reliable content, you're able to establish a strong relationship with your target audience.
While there are many reasons to start a blog, the main advantage is that it gives you direct access to customers. Through blogging, you can interact with them directly, answer their questions, resolve their issues, and give them updates about new releases.
Start small. Start with just five minutes per week. Set goals for yourself, such as increasing visitors to your blog, growing your subscriber base, or improving your performance in search rankings.
As you gain experience, you can gradually expand your efforts. As a beginner, you can spend 15% of your time writing and 85% of your time promoting. Later, you can increase this ratio to 80/20.
- Backlinks can also be referred to as inbound links or incoming links. These two terms describe the same situation.
- high-quality backlinks will help improve your SEO ranking.
- backlinks are one of the most important factors that determine your site’s position in SERPs.
- backlinks can also be referred as anchor text. Anchor text is the clickable part of an HTML tag.
- backlinks should always be unique. They should have no duplicate content.
- backlinks must be relevant to your website.
- backlinks must come from reputable websites.
- backlinks cannot contain any spammy keywords.
- backlinks shouldn't be placed on low-quality sites.
- backlinks don't need to be placed on every page of your website.
- avoid using automated tools to generate backlinks.
- backlinks won't work if your website doesn't rank well.
- organic traffic is more valuable than paid traffic.
- backlink profile is very important for SEO purposes.
- backlinks play a crucial role in boosting your Google PageRank (PR).
- backlinks are essential for building authority and trustworthiness.
- backlinks help drive more traffic to your website.
- broken link penalty is a major problem for webmasters.
- search engine optimization (SEO) is a long-term strategy.
- SEO tools are useful for monitoring your progress.
- backlink opportunities exist everywhere.
- domain authority is a measure of how much value a particular domain has.
- referral traffic is free traffic.
- link building strategies include guest posting, social media marketing, forum marketing, etc.
- backlink popularity is measured by the number of backlinks pointing to a specific URL.
- low-quality backlinks are often penalized by search engines.
- search engine rankings are determined by various factors including backlinks.
- Search engine bots crawl through your entire website looking for pages containing links.
- backlink tools are used to find out which domains are linking to yours.
- powerful backlink builders are available online.
- keyword rankings are based on the number of times a certain word appears in a webpage's body.
- guest blogging is another way to get backlinks.